What Are the Options for a Low-Cost Divorce in Michigan?
Going through the divorce, the thing spouses spend most of their money on are lawyers’ fees. Therefore, to curb the costs, it would make sense not to hire one. Should you take the risk though?
Can I Divorce in Michigan Without a Lawyer?
You can and it is not as hard as you might think. If you and your ex agree or are willing to negotiate on asset division and child-related arrangements, you would not need the court to make any decisions for you. Therefore, there would be no need for an attorney to argue the case on your behalf, and the rest of the process would not require much of the legal knowledge – just a proper amount of research.
Options for Divorce Without a Lawyer
- Do it yourself divorce in Michigan.
If you have enough time on your hands and are ready to take things slow, a DIY option might be for you. In this case, you will be searching for the necessary forms yourself, and bear sole responsibility for ensuring they are:
- Suitable for your case.
- Filled out correctly.
DIY option is definitely the cheapest one available. However, note that it is quite inconvenient if you consider that any mistake on your part would mean that you need to file the documents repeatedly due to court rejections.
- Online divorce in Michigan.
A trusted online service is a great alternative to hiring a lawyer to complete your paperwork. By getting your documents filled out this way, you will pay significantly less than you would an attorney and receive your papers within a shorter timespan of just a few days. Although this option is not free, it is very cheap and helps you ensure that your forms will be accepted by the court when you file them.
The Advantages of Going Through Uncontested Divorce with Us
- Cheap & fast divorce document delivery.
- No hidden payments.
- Full set of legal forms for your personal case.
- Free guide on filing for divorce in Michigan.
- Court approval and moneyback guarantee.
- Affordable uncontested divorce for spouses with and without children.
How Much Does It Cost to File for Divorce in Michigan?
The cost of divorce in Michigan depends mainly on whether or not it is contested. If it is, you will have to hire a lawyer, and the fee you end up with will be influenced by:
- Lawyer’s hourly rates.
- Complexity of your case.
The more unresolved disputes you and your ex have, the bigger your expenses are going to be. In case you have none and qualify for uncontested divorce in Michigan, the costs will depend on your approach to dealing with the legal documents.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Divorce in Michigan?
- An average contested case will cost you about $13,000. The rate will go up if you have kids, property, debts, and joint accounts, or will be asking for alimony. The more issues a judge or a lawyer will help you resolve, the pricier your divorce is going to be.
- The cost of an uncontested marriage dissolution with a lawyer will amount to about $3,000-$5,000, and the price will fluctuate based on the factors similar to those described for a contested case.
- The price of a divorce with a help of an online service will be $139. Note that you will have to pay the court fees separately during the filing process.
Considering how much divorce papers cost when you get them online, and the fact that you receive a filing guide, the most cost-effective option would be to use an online service. This is the only option that allows you to both get a marriage dissolution for under $500 and complete all the paperwork in a matter of days.
Filing Fees for Divorce in Michigan
The cost to file for divorce in Michigan will be around $175 if there are no kids involved and about $255 if you have minor children. Note that divorce filing fees might vary depending on the county and you might be required to cover other court costs. If your case becomes contested and goes to trial, you will have to pay additionally.
Cost of Divorce Proceedings in Michigan
Our company offers both quality and cheap services to spouses filing for divorce in Michigan. If you cannot afford to pay the $139 right away, we will gladly offer you to do it in installments. Just contact us in live chat or send us an email so that we can create an installment plan suited to your financial needs.
|Installment Plan||Negotiable price.|
|Standard Shipping (5-6 days)||$35|
|Express Shipping (1-2 days)||$45|